Thursday, January 13, 2011

I hope that I...

For me, I have always thought about how I would "mother". The things I would hope to do, the things I would never do, and the ways in which I hope to approach my children. This is true now more than ever. Nearly everyday, I get a little tidbit that makes me think, now THIS I MUST remember for Zayd's sake. Anyone that knows me knows that remembering has never been a strength of mine.

Here's a list of things I am consistently making vows to myself that (at the very least) I will attempt to do:
  • Make homemade baby food. I believe so much in good nutrition and I think my actions now will make Zayd's life distinctly harder or easier as he tries to nourish himself as an adult in this (poisonous?- maybe too harsh) world of food choices. Especially if he has any of the same food inclinations as his darling father.
  • On Diane Sawyer's Master Class I heard her talk about a Nobel Prize Physicist who's father asked him everyday after school, "Did you ask any good questions today?". (Instead of, "What did you learn today?") I think this is such a fantastic way to approach learning and a child's curiosity.
  • I think it is so easy to forget that a baby or child is in a room. It's almost natural to have adult conversations about a little one, pretending that they don't hear us because they don't necessarily understand us. I speak to Zayd everyday now - about what we are eating ("Raisin Bran is on the way, kiddo! I know! I am excited too!"), about where we are going ("So, little one, we are off to African Dance. There is going to be a lot of noise but its from the drummers and we call it music. I am not sure that it sounds like music in there, but I will bring you to hear them after you grow up a little and I bet you will love it."), and I respond to his kicks ("My oh my, you are getting strong. Are you trying to find a comfy spot?"). I think that I have set myself up to continue this trend of asking questions that I know he can't verbally answer. I hope that it will make Zayd know that he is loved. In the beginning, I hope it just teaches him to know that I am there and that I am interested in his well-being.
  • I hope I remember to lotion him. I think having dry skin is so uncomfortable.
  • I hope I am flexible throughout the day but with a consistently reliable pre-sleep ritual. I think it will involve massage (lotion!), reading, some calming music, snuggle time, and, when he gets older, I want to remind him about his self soothing techniques just before I leave the room.
  • I am a busy busy person. I thrive on a packed, energetic life. I pray that I have the presence of mind to recognize the life in which Zayd best thrives. If he is completely different from me, that might be a challenge. I just want to be able to acknowledge his best schedule without seeing it in competition with mine.
  • I want to teach him to create things with his hands.
  • I hope to figure out a Christmas routine that keeps him excited, grateful, and not overwhelmed.
  • When he is a little older, I want us to skype with some distant family member. Maybe it would be a set once a week thing. I am not completely sure. But something where he gets to talk to his loved ones (even when they live far away) and show them his adorable little face.
  • As you all know, I hope I can stay committed to cloth diapering. (It is quite simple to be committed before his arrival...)
  • I want to speak and even sing to him in foreign languages. I will probably stick to those I speak, a little Russian at lunch, some Arabic music at night and Urdu sprinkled throughout the day. I am certain he can pick up Spanish in this town. :)
What am I missing? I know the list is actually much longer than this.

2 comments:

  1. I love your list and I think it's great that you are setting goals for yourself as a parent. Your first post about making baby food is a great one. I have made almost all of Josey's baby food (with the exeption of a few store bought jars here and there for quick eating out) and not only has it been great to introduce her to all sorts of foods you can't buy on the shelves but I also really love doing it! I feel like a baby food chef coming up with new recipes each week. One of my main goals was to ensure that even though I was remaining a working mom, I wanted my child to have the benefits of a stay at home mom. So I have tried really hard to do some small things here and there to accomplish this and making baby food was one of them for me. Also, the nightime routine comment is so crucial its rediculous! We started very young with this routine and it deeply affects Josey when we are off. Routine is always, bath, lotion, diaper, jammies, 2-4 books, and a bedtime bottle. The only time this changes is when she is either WAY too tired to read, or wants to read and read all night. It is a great time for the whole family. Sorry for the long comment but I think it is so great for you to put your goals in writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can help you with the lotion bit, I always have some curel in my white coat/car/ponytail. Also, add taking zayd to kid cooking classes!!! That would be so fun!

    ReplyDelete