Monday, January 10, 2011

If you give a doll a grape...


I had the strangest set of dreams last night. One was simply wonderful. My (late) grandma and (late) aunt and a large African American woman (unknown) and I were sitting in a house that is definitely in my parents neighborhood. In the dream it was the same house in the same position but it was also a historical society house and an antique shop. I loved the little nick-nacks in the shop and the lace bedspread. We just sat and laughed and talked and I showed them all my bouncing baby belly when Zayd kicks. These were the most vigorous Z-Man kicks I had ever seen. Nothing much happened but it was a great dream all the same.

The one I simply must report started much differently. I was taking down the Christmas tree and Sam was milling about the house. I was still pregnant but was much further along than I am now. All of a sudden, I realized that I forgot to feed the baby. Ah! I shouted to Sam that I hadn't fed the baby since the previous morning and he nonchalantly told me to feed him. I was annoyed. This is an understatement. Anyway, then I (inexplicably!) ran to the bedroom, opened the closet, and took one of my grandmother's dolls from atop my jewelry box. The doll is a rag doll but was very nicely swaddled.
I hustled to the dining room and set her on the table and then busied myself trying to find something to feed "the baby" in the fridge. Mind you, this entire time I am cognizant of the fact that this is a doll, not a baby. I return to the dining room table with a bowl of tiny green grapes. All of a sudden, I am completely overwhelmed. I have no idea how to feed this doll. Sam is useless. (And the tension rises as he is completely uninterested in helping me feed this starving doll/baby.) I keep putting the grapes up to her sewn on mouth but it never opens to take the grapes from me. I actually ask Sam how I am supposed to get grapes in the doll's mouth and how the baby will get the food from the doll. Not a rhetorical question but I just got a shrug. So, I proceed to peel the grapes. Maybe the doll doesn't like grape skin. (I am not partial to grape skin so I can understand.) This dream continues like this for about 30 minutes. I am fretting over the starving doll/baby, Sam is making himself a sandwich THE ENTIRE TIME, and the dumb doll/baby is just looking at me with these embroidered eyes.

It was so stressful while I was dealing with the hungry baby but when I woke up the panic instantly dissipated.

I am putting this dream down in the baby book.

No comments:

Post a Comment