Thursday, September 1, 2011

Zayd's First Eid


Tuesday was Zayd's first Eid-al-Fitr. I was sad to not be in Houston going to the convention center with my family. So, on a last minute whim, I broke out the Pakistani clothes, got the lentil and myself prettied, and headed to the Norris Convention center for Eid prayers. Mostly, we sat in the back of the hall and played with a little Arab girl who's mother was somewhere off chatting with her friends, but it was exactly what I wanted. Just a little exposure to remind Zayd that the world is bigger and brighter than what goes on in our little Mahncke Park house. The call to prayer was beautiful and Zayd enjoyed his time. He likes singing and I presume he couldn't tell the difference. I loved looking at the gorgeous outfits. There were a bunch of young Somali girls (I could tell because one was wearing an outfit rhinestoned with the phrase "I Somalia!") that were dressed to the nines. Even the shot-out number was really beautiful! I am actually considering wearing Somali traditional dress for the next Eid!
Here is the best shot of Zayd's shalwar kameez:

And action shots:


And finally, me and my littlest man.


All in all, I am so glad I went. Sometimes it is hard to keep tradition alive but it is almost always worth it. Next year, though, I am going home for a real old-fashioned Saleem family Eid!


2 comments:

  1. Zayd looks adorable-and SHOCKED that it's Eid! I'm so glad you went. I would love to go with you guys sometime! Maybe when I have a lentil to bring, too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deal! We will load em up and head to downtown Houston. :)

    ReplyDelete