Sunday, September 18, 2011

Baby Love: A Baby Food Journey

So, thanks to a great friend, we received the baby love cookbook as an early baby present many moons ago. I had dappled in its wonders a couple of weeks back when I made their Perfectly Basic Sweet Potato Puree. With a free Saturday night, I decided to get a little more adventurous and accomplished.

Enter my starting arsenal:

That's a butternut squash, delicata squash, avocado, organic peas, and organic carrots. (If you have never had delicata, its a delicious winter squash that tastes surprisingly like corn while having all of the health benefits of a squash - divine!)

I spent the evening roasting, boiling, puree-ing a way. As a tip, I reused the stock water from boiling vegetables. (So, boil the peas, save the water, boil the carrots in the same water, save it again, etc.) That is a trick I learned from a baby nutritionist. She claims that you preserve a lot of the vitamins that way and it is a healthier way to cook. Now, I just need space in my fridge for leftover boiled veggie water... My freezer is full of milk, teething rings, and (now) baby food. Afterward, I had to find space for all of my spoils in our seemingly shrinking freezer:


That's about 45 nights of food for baby Zayd. 12 nights of carrots, 15 nights of peas, 8 nights of butternut squash, and 8 nights of delicata squash. In hindsight, there was no point in photographing the avocado, I can't do anything with it until it is peeling and mashing time (later this week).

And here is the photo you've been reading this long for:


He didn't exactly "like" peas but he ate his full ounce. He just made angry icky faces throughout the whole ordeal.

No comments:

Post a Comment