Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Zayd Takes Maryland

The little lentil and I have had so many adventures lately that it has been impossible to keep up with the posts! I briefly documented our Beauty and the Beach Bachelorette Weekend yesterday but I haven't even mentioned our whirlwind 72-hour trip to Maryland.

I had very important meetings to attend in MD and we Mammens decided that Zayd was better off sticking with me versus staying home with Daddy and the Manny. Thus, Zayd's first airplane ride happened at the ripe old age of 4+ months. He is traveller just like his mommy and he was pretty darn good on the flights up and down. (No small feat for a little guy, the flights were three hours and twenty minutes each.)

I, on the other hand, was a nervous wreck. I think it was only made worse because my colleagues were on the plane and I am pretty sure that at least one of them is none-too-fond of little tykes. Especially not of little tykes confined to the same relatively small space for 3+ hours. If Zayd was in full-on meltdown mode for the entire trip, the strangers would never bring it up again, but my colleagues...they would remember Zayd as the littlest plane tyrant. (I almost went with the word hijacker but decided that it was a shade too risky.) I was lucky to have a good friend next to me. A good friend with a soothing motherly voice. I think she used it on both me and the lentil.



It was amazing to see my favorite kiddoes in Bethesda. I can't believe how much they've grown and I am astounded by how much I love them. They are one of a small handful of things that make me miss (and, rarely, long for) the District of Columbia. The fact that my bestie lives there now was an added (delicious!) bonus. I am so happy the my baby and my DC babies got along smashingly. And it was SO SMART of me to bring that sweet-faced boy up to MD with me...HE will get my favorite Marylanders to finally pay a visit, I just know it.

The trip was exhausting. On the last rainy morning, I was hoping to get out and see the new MLK memorial. But that is when my mommy brain took over. A year ago, I would have dragged my exhausted long-working, even longer-commuting, 4 hours of sleep self out to the metro, to downtown, to the memorial, taken a photo, gotten tea at that cute tea place out there (the name escapes me), headed back on the metro, walked to my car, and taken off for the airport. Instead the lentil and I spent the morning and a few hours into the afternoon lying on the couch snuggling and listening to the rain. "That's rain Zaydie. We don't get rain in Texas."


2 comments:

  1. Wow -- Zayd has such a blurry weiner.

    I'm glad you guys had a good time and stayed safe during all the natural disasters. Wish I could have been there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not some random weirdo you've never met commenting on your baby's sensitive areas -- the "Unknown" is me, a weirdo you know.

    ReplyDelete