Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Growing by Leaps and Bounds


We had an emergency trip to the pediatrician yesterday - the emergency being that the baby had cried for so long that Sam and I had lost our minds. We were trying to wrap our heads around this colic/milk allergy/soy allergy/gas symphony debate and just weren't coming up with answers, simply more questions. So, we packed up and headed to the pediatrician and I was pretty sure it would be a waste of time. (I am happy to report that it wasn't a waste and that we have really settled on a wonderful pediatrician.)

So, that brings me to the first of Zayd's many milestones - the little tubby has gained one pound and four ounces! I know you probably don't see the chunkiness I see in his 7 pounds 9 ounces, but just look, he has chubby cheeks!


Apparently this is a remarkable feat, all this weight gain. He gained 18 ounces between his one week and three week check-ups. Way to go little guy! (This might help contribute to why he spends all of his hours either sleeping, eating, or crying - he is eating so much more than other babies! Maybe his crying hours just seem prolonged because he has so little unclaimed time after he's fed and rested? **Probably not**)

Second milestone: my dear little baby lost his umbilical cord in just 6 days. It says in the book that it can take up to six weeks. Not for little Zayd - here he is on his one week-a-versary.


Now, I know that I am his mother so I think he is simply incredible even when all he is doing is blowing spit bubbles, BUT yesterday even the doctor commented on how he has remarkable neck strength. This little guy can pick his head up off your shoulder and look around. And he has pretty much been doing that for weeks now. No photo though...

Lastly, and this I can't quite understand, the little lentil has the ability to move around quite a bit for not even recognizing his own hands. Sam put him down on the Baby Einstein mat last week and the chickpea just flipped himself over. I wouldn't necessarily say he knows how to roll over, but that when he is colicky enough, he can thrash himself into just about any position. Strange! Yesterday, I set him down with his friend the Panda and walked to the next room. (See the first photo.) When I came back, he was facing a different direction. I can't explain what happened because I wasn't there. But *someone* moved my baby and I can only presume it was the baby himself...


I will keep you posted on his other amazing feats!

(Oh, and for the record, with his stellar weight gain there is simply no way that my almond joy has an allergy or intolerance to anything - milk or soy. So, that means we have the colic, ladies and gentlemen. I know. It's a tragedy. But there is nothing to be done but buy earplugs and cross off the weeks from now until four months when he will hopefully begin to enjoy *some* waking hours without crying... Actually, we are trying some treatments that I might write about later but there is no known cure or explanation for colic, so we are just on the ride till he lets us off.)

1 comment: