Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Rug Doctor!

Hey ladies and gents, I need some opinions! I am nesting like a freak! And I am about to impulsively buy a rug! So, I definitely need to get opinions from you all! (I recognize how insane all of the exclamation points are but you have NO IDEA how much I have accomplished tonight!)

Solid Green and Slightly Funky
A solid green rug is a good option for the room. It is easier to clean than white and matches the bedding and the little aliens spaced throughout the room. The first rug is a little more expensive than the shag but it is also funkier and plusher looking! I really like the texture and I think it might feel nice between your toes. The shag rug is an easy option - it will definitely match and they aren't very expensive. The one I have included below is chenille which is a nice touch. I have also seen a few at Home Goods. My fears about these rugs are that the little monster will be able to pull out the yarns and that playdoh or food or WORSE can be ground into the pile.

Pottery Barn and Land of Nod - Preppy Baby
So, from Pottery Barn kids or Land of Nod there are tons of high quality, slightly preppy rugs that I like and that I think match the room. The first green rug might be a little too light. A non colorblind person really needs to make that call. The second photo is maybe my favorite. It is called the Rugby Rug and I think that is so cute too! The green seems right on but I am not sure if having both colors might throw things off or make it too busy. There is navy blue in the room - planets and aliens, the loveseat, and possibly the cushions on my rocking chair. Too busy? What do you think? The last photo seems like an easy sell. It is cute without having too much personality. I think I have to be careful not to overwhelm the room with different textures and patterns and this rug is far from overwhelming. That is the problem and delight with not having a right-out-of-the-box nursery set. But, I *think* this green is too light. Again, how the heck would I know!




Space Theme
I am pretty sure that this would be too busy but I want to know what you think! There are a few space themed rugs out there. Here are the best few that I have found. Thoughts? The upside: space. The downsides: they introduce new colors, they are busy, the last two look very childish (as opposed to the vinyl aliens all over the wall). If you love them, though, let me know!




Foam Rug?
Land of Nod has one additional unexpected option- a foam rug! Obviously, it would be easy to clean and comfy to crawl around on. It even looks like planets! The problem - you can't pick the colors and these just don't go. Boo! I don't see how this could work but it is cute and affordable and people should know about it!

So, what do you love? Now more than ever I want comments! I want to buy this ASAP!

UPDATE!
Flor


These are tile carpets that you can put together. Check out Hannah's comments about the quality below. I wouldn't do the second one exactly like that - I would mix it up with some solid lime or solid navy or both!

5 comments:

  1. Hey lady:

    Here's a comment for you -- check these out: http://www.flor.com/ -- it's a great company, not super expensive (although maybe more than the others you're looking at?), and if you need to replace just a square (due to something unidentifiable being ground in, wear, etc.), it's super easy to do.

    Also, and this is just my schtick, but rugs are often coated with super gross chemicals. I may be too paranoid, but with a tiny baby in the room, I'd go for something as low-VOC as possible -- when we learned about finishes in school, these were the lowest VOC options on the market in this country. His little body doesn't have the resiliency to chemicals that we have. (http://www.flor.com/flor-is-responsible)

    So I guess my vote would be for a natural fiber (i.e. wool, which is naturally stain repelling), or something like the chenille that could be machine washable (they say you can't, but I always have and mine have lasted for years)...

    These ones are on sale: http://www.flor.com/feelin-groovy-glitzy-brass.html

    Hope that helps and doesn't just make everything more complicated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.flor.com/side-by-side-cobalt-white.html#

    Here is another one to add to the mix. THanks Hannah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am usually all about patterns, but I actually think that something solid colored would go best in the room. It is fun and quirky, but also very classic looking so far. I think simple is good.
    The light green pb rug is definitely too light.
    I love the green and blue stripes...but wonder if it would be too much. It seems to me that you don't want a bunch of different patterns everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Hannah about the chemical coating. I think that is a key element to consider. In terms of looks, I echo Julie that the patterns seem a bit too busy with everything else going on. I think I would go for something in-between, like the Flor ones? The navy would be gorgeous with the Americana fabric for the rocking chair. Also, maybe you could get the foam one and have it on a hook as wall art, then take it down as a little play area on the floor?

    ReplyDelete