Monday, March 21, 2016

One Awesome Lady

My grammy passed eight years ago today. I thought about her a bit today and how happy she'd be with the Lady I'm becoming. And how much she'd love those adorable Zs.

I also thought about how awesome it is to be able to recognize, increasingly these eight years later, how awesome my mom is. Many (all?) of those qualities I worshipped in my grandma I can brightly see in my mother today. I'm sure my mother was always courageous, brilliant, and determined... eight years ago or 18 years ago. In my younger eyes, though, and with my grandma's shadow, it was harder to see it then. I think that's part of the complexity of growing up female and knowing everything before your time...you miss so much.

Today, I celebrate that my mom challenges everything and (seemingly) fears nothing. Just like the grammy I remember. Just like the little Lady I'm raising. And, likely, a hell of a lot like me.

Here's to strong women. May we know them, may we be them, may we raise them. And to my mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment