Friday, May 11, 2018

Fiesta: The Party with a Purpos

I have never been the biggest Fiesta-er. I actually never got what made it fun: overpriced food and long lines, tons of alcohol, parades where nearly every float is from an organization you have never heard of, mexican embroidered shirts that we don't wear any other week of the year.

But this year, while entering my tenth year in San Antonio, I had the Fiestas. I wanted to do all of the things, and I mostly did! I bought the clothes, I bought the medals, I did it up. This year, we did have fun. Parades are actually fun. Parties are fun. But the best thing is seeing your friends so often. There are Fiesta events every day (multiple per day actually) for two weeks. That can be overwhelming but it also means everyone is in a festive mood. This city had a great energy and I soaked it in. I loved finding embroidered clothing from Mexico at my favorite vintage shop and even made my first (FIRST!) trip to Fiesta on Main. Next year, I am apt to even DECORATE for Fiesta. Why on earth not? It turns out the more you Fiesta, the more fun it is!

Check out a smattering of our events: The First Annual Mahncke Day, A Night in Old San Antonio, The Battle of the Flowers Parade below. We also hit up the King William Fair and the kids and I lasted nearly all day, spent a ton of money, and had a great time. Ha ha. (I think part of this liking Fiesta stuff has to do with working full time and pulling a full time paycheck, that is something I didn't have for those first eight Fiestas.) I ended Fiesta week with an evening run through the Flambeau parade preparations just before it started. I got to see tons of marching bands, ladies getting into their crazy gowns, and awesome floats. I think I might add that to our repertoire the next time we Fiesta. :)






























No comments:

Post a Comment