Monday, December 18, 2017

Our Growing Family Tree

Last month we welcomed our very first cousin into the Saleem brood. Well, to be fair, I'm overflowing with cousins but my kids have done without for all these years. We have family that I call or cousins and they fit the mold pretty well but I've been waiting and waiting for a real niece or nephew of my own. Yes, I realize it sounds like I'm the only one over the moon about the birth of little Kai Holder Saleem, but I assure you my kids are smitten as well. The big two have been joyously waiting for this baby since Zayd's sixth birthday.

I feel blessed that my wonderful brother and sister let me into their lives to support and love on them during what I know is a magical and deeply personal time. I loved watching them become parents and I'm filled with true joy whenever I hold their sweet little man.




Zayd was an awesome helper and beyond invested in meeting his newest protege. He accompanied me to the hospital on checkout day because he couldn't wait another minute. On our walk in, I explained how I needed him to be calm and just go with whatever the adults were telling him to do. I explained that this might be a stressful day for Nini and Uncle Jon. He responded with those big solemn eyes, "I know Mom. Nini is a mom now and being a mom is hard because you always want to do the nice, right thing and sometimes that's hard. I know because even when Ziyan hıts me, I love him so much so I can't be mean and I have to teach him not to hit." Be still, my heart. I needed to immediately hug my big boy and thens nuggle a tiny baby so I could mourn the passing of time with my big brave Zu.

Here is Zayd determined to be a calm soothing presence in "Baby K's" life. This is Zayd's nickname for his new little man. 



Zayd wants to teach Kai to play soccer and run fast and definitely how to read. He is also ready to teach  Kai how to be a phenomenal big brother, should the need ever arise. :)








Zahra is ready to teach Kai to count and read and thinks he should be ready for these lessons really soon.







Ziyan enjoys photos of baby Kai. And, for now, that is about it.






So, there you have it, our family grew and our hearts did too. I love new babies but I am just as excited to imagine the future our kiddos will make together. I look forward to a lifetime of loud sleepovers, Christmas morning pictures, and children to love on. Sam and my kids, my brother and Nini's kids, and eventually their kids.





No comments:

Post a Comment