Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Happy Halloween from my three Zs!!

My sweet chickpeas really surprised me this year with their Halloween costume choices.

Zayd wanted to be a werewolf. I tried to convince him to retrofit his grey wolf costume from last year but it turns out that werewolves are always brown. (So days Zayd.) We debated some ideas for fixing up last years getup but in the end, Zayd really need a scary mask. Like a really scary mask. He's been so funny this whole Halloween season. When we walk past people's yards he comments, "they put up decorations and didn't even try to be creepy!", in his most annoyed and exasperated voice. While I was in Baltimore, Sam and Zayd raided Target and acquired zombie arms that we have digging out from our yard, a giant spider that's hanging on our front door, webs, and a five foot long snake skeleton that Zayd treats like a stuffed animal. He's into it. My big guys have watched nearly the entire 1990s series Goosebumps all month long and the more recent movie more than once. Zayd diligently kept a calendar and marked off each day on our way to Halloween.

Zahra wanted to be Poison Ivy and honestly I had to Google it. She's a Batman villain with bright red hair and a green jumpsuit. She shoots ivy out of her hands as weapons. She asked that I sew her a jumper just like last years Lisa Frank leopard costume but green. When we went to Joann's we discovered that they had a green shiny spandex that was both leopard and reptile printed. While the animal motifs don't quite make sense with regard to Poison Ivy authenticity, they are 100% Zahra. So we got the fabric, whipped up an easy jumper this weekend and sewed fresh vines (passion fruit vines from our yard) onto her costume today. Mostly, every leaf had been ripped off before we started the candy hunt but we try.

Ziyan was the funniest. He has a couple Sandra Boynton dinosaur books that he LOVES and a stuffed Brachiosaurus fossil (from Nani) that he occasionally asks for and hugs around the neck. He especially loves to snuggle the saurapod while reading Dinosaur Dance. He's my only one year old to ever request a stuffed toy and it's beyond adorable. So, I thought a dinosaur would be perfect. I ordered something premade because... I've got the kids. It came and when we showed it to him he ran crying. Ran. With real tears. Both I, the kids, and Joe have made a concerted effort to get him comfortable with this outfit. It hung visible in his room everyday. We were all always running around in the hat, and Zahra had even been known to don the entire 12-18mo costume and show Z3 it isn't scary. This week he finally requested to wear the hat for about 3 seconds. We all made a big show of clapping for him and crossed our fingers for Halloween. He was none too happy with putting the belly on today but he didn't take it off. When I put the Hat on he freaked out but a lollipop soon solved the problem.

Check out these adorables. Each kid, including Ziyan loved handing out candy and trick-or-treating. And because I'm a math Mom I made the big kids graph their candy when they got home.

No comments:

Post a Comment