Sunday, August 13, 2017

Marfa! Because we are the hippest!

Early one morning, Ziyan, mom and I escaped our west Texas house (and those men and big kids!) to drive forty five miles to Prada Marfa. If you're unfamiliar, it's an art installation in the middle of the desert that is an unopenable building stocked with Prada merchandise from 10 years ago.

Hmmmm. I'm no art critic but I felt convinced the artist would laugh at us. I think you can juxtapose our excessive trip into the desert to see Prada things behind a glass to the excessive expense of actually buying one of those things. And thus, we're all fools. Everyone but the artist? Isn't that how art works? I wish my dear friend Payal had been there to critique my critique.

Afterward, we did a little shopping and because there weren't enough stores by our big city standards, we bought entirely too much hand milled soap.

To cap our art-filled day, we had the guys+Zahra meet us at Donald Judd's artist compound Chinati foundation. We enjoyed 100 aluminum cubes housed in an old military barrack that once served as a  POW facility for German soldiers we captured in North Africa during WWII. The best thing to help me enjoy art more is definitely art mixed with history! I love math and I love performance but sometimes inanimate art is hard for me. (See Prada Marfa, above.) While the experience was lovely, the pictures are phenomenal!

Marfa, check! This trip is almost complete!

No comments:

Post a Comment