Sunday, August 21, 2016

Twas the Night Before Kinder

Well, folks, we've made it to our biggest milestone yet. Kindergarten starts tomorrow for my biggest boy. He is overjoyed about it: he likes his classroom, his friends are going, he has an awesome backpack and the uniforms are blue. What's not to love?

Speaking of the backpack, I let Zayd do his first online shopping for this backpack and as soon as he picked something, I regretted turning over the reigns. I tried to convince him that this Dinosaur World backpack was too scary for a five year old.  It would terrify the other kids! He can't understand that perspective at all and if he wasn't the sweetest kid in the world, he'd surely say, "oh, moooom" while rolling his eyes at me.

Our goal for the summer was to read 100 unique books. We might have read the last twelve today but we did it! The kids were so proud when we listed "School's First Day of School" as our 100th book. It was fun to end our summer with ritual and an accomplishment. Frankly, I'm proud too and think I might keep our reading log for at least the next year.

Zayd's super sweet teachers sent home colorful confetti "guaranteed" to help you sleep a restful sleep just before school starts. Zayd shared with his baby sister and definitely loved the magic of this ritual. Zayd took care to spread the paper confetti just right beneath his pillow. SF DA We are so lucky to have such sweet thoughtful teachers.

As I kissed him goodnight, he shot his arms up in the air and exclaimed, "I am just so excited!!" Then, somehow, maybe because of magic confetti, he fell quickly asleep. Because at the end of the day, he's only five and he's definitely my dear baby boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment