Saturday, August 8, 2015

Bethany Beach: 2 Babies, 2 Big Kids, 2 Mommies

Me, my chickadees and my momma headed up to Delaware last month to spend some time with our more northerly family at Bethany Beach. It was wonderous. My only complaint is that none of the daddies made it up with us. 

As an aside, though I am pretty sure I have covered this before, my kids will tell anyone who will listening that they have two mommies and two daddies. It can come as a shocker to the unsuspecting. It is also really hard when traveling with both mommies.
Some Z: Mommy...mommy...mommy
Me: Yes, dear.
Some Z: No, my other mommy.
Me: Good luck.



We spent the week in a permanent flip flop between having a couple of babies and a couple of capable kids on our hands. It is probably Zayd's last summer where I will feel like he is a munchkin. It might be hers too, at the rate she is maturing. Let's move on, you will see what I mean.

My kids and I took a few short runs through Sea Colony while I tried to get my post-Ramadan legs back in working order. I highly recommend a vacation to anyone who has just completed Ramadan. I do not recommend the rapid weight gain that will come from a quick transition from starving to gluttony.  

This first picture isn't an amazing, but there a 100 things I love about it.
  1. Yes, that is a swim cap. And yes it is amazing.
  2. The binky. She is still a baby
  3. The running shoes. She is about to venture out with Zayd and I. She is not a baby.
  4. The truth of what happened. We ran one mile with me carrying her the whole way. Baby.
  5. Look at how long her leg is! It looks so spindly and grown to me. Even her feet look huge!


And then this. Here is my son growing up before my eyes. He is smiling for goodness sakes.



We went out on a  boating adventure and the kids had a blast.  I took Zayd to pee of the back of the boat into the bay at one point and he couldn't get over how "cool" it was. "If someone looks over at us, they will just think, 'Oh, they are looking at the water!!' Ha ha!" What a big, kinda gross, boy. (Wonder where he gets that!?) 

About an hour in, Zahra pulled her binky from her binky coin purse (thanks Nini), curled up in my arms, and fell asleep. Typical Zahra. She gets her needs met. We snuggled her on a bench and let her be for the next 2 hours.





This young man, on the other hand, went tubing with me. We were being pulled by Uncle Adam in a speed boat and it was pretty terrifying but he loved it! What a big boy! Once back on board, I wrapped his shivering body in a towel and he fell asleep in about 4 minutes. Curled up in my arms. Like a baby.




Zahra finally found a tree her size, perfect for climbing.


We had tons of awesome laughs and shrieks of joy playing in the surf. Both Z's loved hanging out with their cousins and pretty much solidified that our July tradition includes requisite Bethany Beach time.





And we enjoyed some truly Bethany traditions: Candy Kitchen, Popcorn, Soft Serve on the boardwalk.




We spent our sunsets playing in the aftermath of other peoples' castles and leaping over holes. In Zahra's case, it was more leaping into the holes and scrambling out.











On our way out of town, we stopped back at the tiny Bethany Bakery and enjoyed Zahra's sunshiney attitude and sprinkle donuts.



So, based on this last picture on the way out of town, I am thinking we have one big kid, one transitioning two. (We wouldn't dare call her terrible!) Let's see what next year brings!

No comments:

Post a Comment