Monday, September 29, 2014

Relaxation Jars

While in Maryland a few weeks ago I had TIME! Time to read about parenting and see my best friend Ella. That was about it. Now, in my readings, I kept coming across the "proper" way to use a timeout. I find myself on both sides of that coin sometimes, but I am trying, and frankly, sometimes I need the minute for me. Nonetheless, it has made me more conscious of how we are (trying) to implement discipline in the Mammen household. One thing I kept returning to is that I haven't worked (hard enough) to foster other methods of calming my children besides timeout or holding them. Enter, the much mythicized Relaxation Jar. It is a colorful jar filled with glitter and glitter glue and little plastic figurines. When your child is upset, you are supposed to have them shake up the jar and watch and wait for all of the glitter to settle. We have used it to moderate success a few times since we made them, but I will say the crafting was a hit and I bet with consistent implementation we could actually get some relaxation out of this big jar.

Zahra choose red coloring to dye her water. Can you tell!?




Zahra got a little carried away with the plastic ponies.

 



Then she used her Relaxation Jar as a chair...








Surprise! Zayd chose blue. Blue glitter, blue dye, blue glue. You name it. Sadly, he used an entire tube of blue food coloring so you can't see into his at all. It makes it more time-consuming though because he has to search through the glitter for his fish or little lego man he threw in.






As an aside, I have started putting Zahra's hair in a casual up-do with a single bobby pin and I am pretty sure there is nothing more spectacular than a one year old with an up-do springing forth with ringlets.




No comments:

Post a Comment