Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Dinosaurs Have Feathers

I realize that I am a full fledged adult. Having kids means I must be. But today something hit me that showed me just how OLD I am.

This afternoon, I took the Z's to the Witte museum to see Dinosaurs Uncovered for free Tuesday. Lately, thanks to the "How Do Dinosaurs...?" books Zayd is into the topic and always requests that I take the "long" way home to drive past the big animatronic dinosaur right on Broadway. Lucky for us city-dwellers, the long way is one short neighborhood block. 

I digress. (A second sign that I am getting old.) It turns old that the dinosaur science that was being peddled in the nineties was...wrong. I learned all of this wrong dinosaur stuff. (Though NPR has provided me timely corrections over the years to my misinformation.) First, Brontosaurus? Not a thing. It's a fake species. A mish-mash of bones some paleontologist threw together to get famous for a new dino discovery. OK, I took that one pretty hard. Then, more recently, I learned that apparently T-Rex was feathered. Yep, him and most of his buddies. Dinosaurs had feathers. I have known this for about a month or so. But today walking with the Mammenitos through an exhibit of multiple feathered dinosaurs I thought, huh, they will never have my backward view of reptilian dinos! It just made the space and time between us seem so vast. Which means, I am really really old. 

"Gosh, mom. I bet you even thought Pluto was a planet!"

In true lentil/lolly fashion Zayd was terrified and wouldn't look the dinos head on and Zahra tried to eat her shoes or stand up in the stroller.


1 comment: