Wednesday, June 20, 2012

This Lentil Doesn't Float

It's summer and to mama (me) that means pool time! 

I signed Zayd up for swim lessons at our neighbor's house (who just happens to have made the San Antonio paper for her awesome technique and work with kids with disabilities). The best part is that she is two houses away. The worst part is that apparently Zayd hates swimming. HATES. He cried through the first day. The whole 45 minutes. Every time she went to let him "swim" he would look to me and start screaming, open-mouthed, into the water. (He actually got it closed just in time almost every time.) Eek! I was amazed how he could resume screaming the second his head came above water. Doesn't he need to breathe in first? 

On day two, he cried when I put his swim suit on. And on the walk there. And through the class. But he was a lot less stiff and did actually have one 15 second no-crying bout. It's the little things.

Today when we went, he was like a new more confident baby. He sat on the side and watched the 3-5 year olds with interest and a cool collected outlook on the whole thing. Don't believe me? Have you ever seen a cooler baby?


He managed to make it through the first 15 minutes without crying and I was SO PROUD of him. Eventually, he started the ritual and flailing around while trying to sign "all done" and not drown and by the time we were done, we'd spent 15 minutes of him looking like this:

He is definitely the most "vocal" kid in the class. He cries the loudest. And when the instructors dog comes outside he screams "Duh!" in a pitch that you would think only the dogs can hear but which will, actually, pierce your eardrum.

Here's hoping for a better tomorrow. By next week, I have been assured he won't still be crying. We shall see!

1 comment:

  1. Awwwwww! Poor thing! I can't wait to hear the update next week. I know you can do it, Zayd!!

    ReplyDelete