Sunday, June 19, 2011

Elimination Diet X2

So, my lovely husband has agreed to play along in the "What is Zayd allergic to this week?" game show. Starting tomorrow, for the next seven days, we will both be schlupping our way through Dr. Sears Total Elimination Diet. The one I have been subservient to for 44 days. (But who's counting?)

I think this will actually be great for me. Instead of subsisting on rice cakes with sunflower spread, rice cereal with rice milk, and sweet potato chips, I am actually going to work on cooking MEALS. It is important to me to have family meals, and now that we are eating the same things, I have worked out a couple of menus!
  1. Potato Kale Enchiladas (without sauce but with roasted pumpkin seeds!) - That's right I have added corn and so far, it seems ok! So corn tortillas are now on the list! I am considering pureeing some corn and adding the fake cheese (Dairy-free, Soy-free, Gluten-free) I have discovered to make a sauce of sorts. To bad tomatoes are a big no-no. There will be a side of black beans.
  2. Quinoa with Roasted Zucchini. I will skillet-fry some ground turkey to add to Sam's portion. I might add spinach. I have eaten it once without incident but I technically wasn't adding it. It was just a moment of weakness. And I am up to add a new food on Tuesday so we will see. I might let Sam pick the food! We will have baked sweet potatoes alongside our meal. (No butter, even the fake stuff comes from soy.)
  3. Zucchini & fake cheese fritters with basil and mint. Yum! (I bought a potato ricer last week and have been making the heck out of some hash browns.) I had a plan for something to accompany this... Maybe it was herb and olive oil rice pasta. Can't remember. I will get back to you.
  4. I just made a gluten free corn bread mix. All I had to do was substitute oil for butter, rice milk for milk, and flaxseed meal for eggs. Ha! Tastes like the real thing! (Minus the butter.)
And for some inspiration -

2 comments:

  1. Go, Sam! That's awesome! I'm psyched to hear that you will have a partner in Eliminate Diet-dom. Also, could you add corn starch to something to make a sauce?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ended up pureeing a can of corn, adding a dash of chipotle hot sauce (not allowed but really only a dash) and some paprika. It was a great sauce minus a little too much paprika!

    ReplyDelete