Monday, May 9, 2011

Fussy Baby Detective

So, we are on day 7 of the Total Elimination Diet and while we had a nice run of happy calm baby Zayd, that period seems to have ended. I just can't imagine colic where the baby spends all of their awake time miserable. Here is how the last week has played out:
  • Tuesday - Started diet with a moderately fussy baby
  • Wednesday - Awesome baby. My mom declared, "This is an entirely different baby." When I brought him in the house from our long drive back to SATX, he sat calmly in his car seat, awake and looking around, and Sam couldn't believe it.
  • Thursday - Moderately fussy baby
  • Friday - Fantastic baby! We read books and he swang himself to sleep. When we woke up in the morning, I took this video. (That I can't upload - I'll work on it...) I was shocked to see him wake up without a shriek!
  • Saturday - Awesome baby strikes again! We went to a friend's house and he was a pretty adorable yet sleepy little guy. I made this video later in the day. (Again - it isn't working.) I couldn't believe my luck - two consecutive good days.
  • Saturday night - he fought gas during his sleep from around 2 am on. By seven, he was so unhappy that we had to start the day even though neither of us had slept much. I blamed it on some lentils I had before bed, and figured it would be gone by morning.
  • Sunday - seemed to start off ok after the bad night as Zayd and I took a long nap together. By noon, I knew this would be a bad day. He was sleepy, fussy, and gassy. Not a good mix. He colic'd the evening away.
  • Today - Another restless gassy night and he has been a terror this morning. He comes screaming of the breast during feedings. His arms are flailing. He's inconsolable. Its a disaster.
So, then you try to put all of this together. It can't be the food right? I am eating the same 5 foods day in and day out. It doesn't sound like colic because its from morning till night. It just doesn't make sense...

Thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. You are an incredible, patient mother, and we are all in awe of you every day. I know how loved Zayd must feel every day that he wakes up and feels you and Sam there by his side.

    What does Jenny think about all of this? It looks like a lot of people think acid reflux can seem like colic...http://www.infantreflux.org/
    I'm only putting in my two cents since you wanted thoughts, and I have NO idea, but I can do research! Let me know if you want me to read up on anything for you since I have a lot of time in the next week!

    We love you guys a lot and are thinking about you all of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someone online said something about a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance causing gassiness and misery. I don't know anything about it, but it might be worth looking into.

    ReplyDelete