Friday, May 20, 2011

Back to Baseline!

I was going to start the post as follows:
"Every time I speak with my mom, I recount all of Zayd's poops since our last conversation..."

Then, I looked myself square in the face and decided to be honest:
"Every time I talk to the inner circle, I recount all of Zayd's poops for the last 24 hours..."

But I am stronger than this. So, here goes:
"Every time I talk to ANYONE, I recount all of Zayd's poops since last Monday. It has been a whirlwind of diapers, colic, and emotions!"

We have had a heck of a couple weeks around here! Last time I wrote we were on a short "good spell" that ended up lasting through the week - seven days! Then mommy (that's me!) got cocky and thought she could just go adding foods to her diet willy nilly. I assumed that since the arrival of Prevacid into our little lives corresponded exactly with Zayd turning into Angel-Baby (I call him Devil-Baby, as well) that reflux was the issue all along and my diet was of little consequence. I had the gaul to add soy! Soy! I was loving tofu with soy sauce and edamame for two straight days without much consequence. Then Monday hit and all hell broke loose. The poops were nightmarish and so was my little Devil-Baby. He pretty much didn't stop crying until Thursday. One good thing came out of those three days - I clearly can identify an allergic reaction. It isn't defined by green poops alone, but rather hellish poops (details omitted) and a Devil-Baby.

Now, we are back on pears, peaches (new!), squash, potatoes, rice, quinoa (new!), EVOO, and salt. I dream about eating cookies. No, literally, I dreamt I went back to work and found a box of chocolate chip cookies on my desk that had been there since I left back in March. I ate the whole box and was only worried about people finding out that I was gross enough to eat two-month old cookies. But, really, dreaming about eating yummy stuff is pretty great. It *feels* like you really cheated but without having to battle Devil-Baby. :)

I spend my days fantasizing about the new food I will add every four days. So far this is what I have:
  • Kale (May 20)
  • Avocado (May 24)
  • Chickpeas (May 28)
  • Banana (June 1)
  • Oats (June 5) (Not that exciting but very non-allergenic and it gets me closer to a cookie of sorts)
  • Sunflower Seeds (June 9) (Also not exciting but an excellent source of protein and a great snack)
And my little lentil is doing wonderfully! Here he is enjoying the day with his Momma. After waking up, he tried out his little seat while I scarfed down Rice Cereal with Rice Milk. (Not half bad!)

And here he is patiently waiting for Mom to get dressed for our 5K walk through the King William District. Notice that he is wearing his big boy diapers! (So, they are huge.) They are the ones I bought so long ago and posted about on this very blog.


And a little yawn from my little guy.

And here we are along the River Walk in King William. In hindsight, it was too hot to take the little lentil out for a 5k. Thank goodness he is tan.




3 comments:

  1. First, so proud of you for being so dedicated to breastfeeding that you're in charge of your diet like that. Love. Second, back to work-how did that go? Third, he is so flippin cute, look at his fatty fat fat cheeks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of the gluten free cookie mixes are soy free. But, if he can tolerate oats, you can make oatmeal cookies with rice flour easy. A little xantham gum will help with the tendency to not rise. I'm glad you're finding the culprits. I hope all of this is helping with any of the out of control feelings that can come with the depression. You're doing it awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And of course, be careful with getting gluten free oats since so many are processed in glutenized mills. And they don't bake the same as regular oats in terms of making cobbler or, eventually, cookies.

    You are amazing, and he is so CUTE! Every time I see a picture of him I just light up.

    ReplyDelete