Sunday, October 24, 2010

"TaTa is having a baby!"

I just spent one heck of a week with two of my favorite people. Well, I suppose four. Four of my favorite people. (Sorry Liz and Adam, but the kiddoes are the stars of the show, though I do relish those still hours after they go to bed and we get to be "grown-ups" together.)

I've never known anyone with the comedic timing, relelntless ability to snuggle, and wide-eyed creativity of my "niece" and "nephew". Technically, we are first cousins once-removed but the title feels so barren that I simply refuse to accept it. I have to say that I have never been more excited to be pregnant than I was this week. I love these kids with an intensity that makes the soft part of my palms tingle when they smile at me and they are not even mine. It baffles me and makes me hopeful about just how happy a person can be.

I broke the news to the little ones on my first night and their beaming faces just looked back at me eager but pretty much unimpressed. Then, they immediately asked if I wanted to watch a show. They grew more comfortable with the idea as the week went by and started inquiring as to the baby, "Is the baby helping you stir the muffins?" "Does the baby like Dr Pepper?" "Did the baby catch a cold, too?" And each one said a sad goodbye to my belly as I left for the airport this morning.

We didn't do anything remarkable this week, and I left with a horrendous cold the likes of which only a six year old can transport, but I get blissfully weepy just thinking about our week together. (That is how I know I am healthfully hormone-ally pregnant.) We played with magic tiles - ridiculously superior to lincoln logs, entertained an infant together, cozied up to watch Scooby Do long past bed-time, make spiced apple chocolate chip muffins, sang the Michigain fight song (GiGi would be so proud), read cookbooks at bed time (my type of little lady!),cleaned the basement and stayed in our pajamas ALL DAY on Saturday. And that felt like an ideal way to spend ~7 days in DC. Oh! And I taught the three year old trgionometry. Technically, I taught him the word "trigonometry" but now, he goes up to people and tells them that TaTa taught him trigonometry. Awesome.

Another fantastic fun-point from this weekend was raiding the massive toy closet my cousins have so meticulously organized to find things for the little Z-ster. I got TWO elephant toys - woot woot!- and a host of other things, the cutest of which is documented below. I filled a dufflebag with hidden treasures to start the process of setting up the nursery.


I can't wait to go back and will insist that the Mammenator comes along. I want to go when my belly is bigger and the kiddoes can see a Z-kick from the outside. I have also decided that I simply must teach them to Skype. This pregnancy is going to (eventually) tether me to the house and I will simply need to get my fill from time to time.

So, it's Sunday nearing evening and I am on a plane home to Sam. After the week I've had, and the weeks I know are to come, I am joyful.




** Actually, let me just comment on my schedule now so as not to confuse you all as we barrel through these late fall months. I have four happy, hopefully lazy days of work and reconnecting with my husband, who I am sure is desperately missing me right about now. (Hint!) On Thursday, my newly-fianced best friend (Ella-Bell!) arrives and we intend to go so totally girl-crazy with talks of weddings and babies and diamonds, oh my! We are heading to Houston for Halloween and then my mom and I are off to Mexico for a conference on the Cruising Industry (Nov 1-6). FOr those that don't know, in our free time, we've opted to start a travel agency that specializes in cruise vacations - woot woot! (The Saleem blood pumps strong and the running really never stops.) I get back from that and am going to try my darndest to work about 64 hours in three days - no, not going to happen but we'll see what I can do. See the comment about Saleem blood; you might just be amazed. That takes us to early November (the 11th?) when Sam and I are heading to Oklahoma City to spend Veterans Day weekend at a ranch with a group of friends. I am flying from there to Minneapolis for my final Travel Agent Training and will be home by the 18th of November. Then, I will start to focus on being pregnant and on being a gratefully employed gallavanting entrepreneur. :) I know some of you might be feeling whiplash from that little explosion of flights and intentions but just know that I do my best work when I have no choice but to DO IT RIGHT NOW. I'm sure this schedule will instigate a few bouts of crying in the car about the simpler decisions in my life but then we'll have something to talk about. ***

No comments:

Post a Comment