Monday, October 11, 2010

First Baby Purchase!

So, I just made my first baby purchase today. Yay! It was exhilarating and it almost seemed brazen of me. After such a rough first trimester, and Doctor Frankenstein (see previous post), I'm just happy to wake up pregnant everyday. I have been making plans but hadn't taken the real step of saying, "I'm having a baby! I have this token to prove it!" So, I was blissfully happy as I paid for my purchase.

I had a $50 gift card (thank you, Groupon) for a cute little environmentally friendly store in the Quarry. So, I headed in and discovered BABY STUFF! Cute little knitted booties, those exceptionally soft organic cotton baby wrap things that hold the baby on your chest, teensy tiny onesies and (hold your breath) CLOTH DIAPERS (CD). (Ha ha ha - I can feel your excitement.) This makes one of three locations in San Antonio to carry CDing supplies, or so my internet research leads me to believe.

And I bought...
My first pack of cloth diapers - woo hoo! This set comes with two fitted covers and six organic washable inserts. (If anyone is actually interested in how the Flip CD system works you can watch this YouTube review.) But now for the adorable pictures. Here is the diaper on its smallest settings.


Ah! So adorable! It makes my toes tingle. Its gets much bigger but not any cuter...

So, that's just about it. One of the most exciting things about this system is that I can buy a disposable insert system so when the little one ends up in nanny care, the nanny won't hate me! It'll be almost like regular diapers but without the plastic and way less trash per poop. I'm psyched.

If anyone is wondering what the organic inserts for this guy look like, it really isn't very complicated.

I realize that almost no one I know cloth diapers but it is something that I am committed to doing and Sam was convinced when I told him it was cheaper. :) I figure if I am going to recycle like a fiend, I might as well be green in every way I can. And there are really so many modern options for CDing these days. Just a little research has taught me a lot. Also, Sam and I are attending a CD class this Thursday so that should definitely help, as well.

And in case you are trying to guess the baby's gender, the blanket is from many years ago and the diaper is celery - how gender neutral can I be?

3 comments:

  1. My friend recently has a 3 month old at home and long before she was born they decided to go with the G diapers. It seems very similar to your choice of Flip above. It has a shell with disposable inserts that you can actually flush down a toilett. She LOVES the G Diaper system and says that it is not any more complicated than using disposables. Let me know how these Flips work out for you. For baby #2 it might be an option for us. G was too expensive so we didn't do much research on alternatives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To rephrase, my friend HAS a 3 month old at home, not recently has. Ugh

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will definitely let you know! Though we have a while before I will get to test these out. As I get a newborn stash together I will post about it, as well. It seems that you usually have to use especially tiny diapers for those first few months.
    When might #2 be?!?
    So nice to see you commenting on the blog!

    ReplyDelete